Breathing Ghosts

Breathing Ghosts - Laekan Zea Kemp Review posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

When I got asked to read and review this book, not in my wildest dreams did I expect to enjoy this read so much. From the blurb you get to see that this is a story about a boy and a girl, but then girl dies and boy's heart is shattered.

First we get to meet River. A young boy, who grows up in dysfunctional family, having to work to bring some food to his house. His father is abusive one and his mother is scared of leaving him. So they're both stuck. It was all hard to take and you must feel for this boy, but he had that light in his life. He had Nia. A girl that was everything to him, his soul mate and someone who made him forget about all his problems. Until one day she was gone, too. All their dreams about future and ruining away were shattered. Only thing that's left is pain, unbearable pain and a map. A map with their future on it. So he decides to go and chase their dream alone. Soon enough he gets company, but he cannot find Nia. How will he live without her?

As Nia's death occurs at beginning stages of this story my heart broke into little pieces then. You get to experience all River's feelings and you cannot but hope that he will find his safe heaven somewhere. His grief is eating him and he doesn't know how to deal with it. I wanted to hug that boy so hard.

I loved the way this book was written. So beautiful and while many things aren't said, they're simply shown. Only problem, so to say, here I hard with the ending of the story. It's an open ending which I didn't like. I wish I could see a glimpse of hope for River somewhere. But then again this is a story about journey not the end.