And We Stay

And We Stay - Jenny Hubbard Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

The first thing I learned about this book was it had some parts of it written in verse and as soon as I heard it also has some connections to Emily Dickinson and that it deals with emotional issues - basically it sounds like a perfect read for me. So I grabbed a chance to read it. Luckily I got approved for it, but sadly I expected too much.

Firstly, I must say that I really enjoy books written in verse so I hoped I'd enjoy this one for that but things weren't that great. Our main character here Emily (Beam, not Dickinson) is a girl that's been though huge trauma. Her boyfriend killed himself in front of her. Emily is angry at him and also feels guilty for that so her parents decide it's best for her to change the school. They send her to Amherst, a place where Emily Dickinson is from. Soon enough our Emily finds inspiration and tries to deal with guilt and her songs and writings help her deal with everything in her life.

The biggest problem for me in this book was point of view. I don't mind third person narrative in general but when a book is dealing with tough and emotional issues I don't think it's a right fit. For that reason it was hard for me to connect with Emily. I did understand her suffering and pain but sometimes it was hard to understand her actions and behavior.

Don't get me wrong the writing was beautiful and the words are crafted nicely and each was on the right place but it wasn't meant for this type of story. Sadly, it was the reason that kept me away from this book and that made me struggle with it.

***NOTE: Copy of this book was kindly provided by the publisher, Random House Children's, via NetGalley. Thank you!
I'm not paid for writing this review - I do it as a lover of written word. All opinions are personal.