Dark Triumph

Dark Triumph - Robin LaFevers Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

The biggest surprise for me while going through some reviews for Dark Triumph was that people generally enjoyed it more than Grave Mercy while here I am wishing Ismae back. I do understand the switch in narration as Ismae's story is right where it should be and we definitely need Sybella to show us another side of the story so we can have the whole picture. Only problem for me was that Sybella wasn't someone I connected with.

Like Ismae, Sybella has been through hell and back while growing up. Always used and without real protection especially as her father changed wives like some people change shoes. She never had a strong maternal figure to lead her trough life. For that she is used to protecting herself but even being strong and independent her father is not someone she will tackle easily. But now she has new purpose and covenant and her friends give her strength she never had and with that she meets someone who show her that vengeance is not the only feeling there is.

My only struggle here was that at moments I felt like Sybella's character is taken too far and her life is so dark that I have no idea how she get out of that sane. I wasn't sure I could admire her inhuman strength as it was too much to take in.

But next book Mortal Heart will be about Annith and her situation is the most interesting to me for many reasons and I truly hope it'll put some new light on the story.

Rating: 3.5 stars.