The Lost

The Lost - Sarah Beth Durst Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

There are books that dance on tightrope between reality and imagination and all I can say for this one is - it's quite a dancer. I have no idea which genre to put it in. For me this book was everything I needed without knowing so. It captured me and took me to another world I did not expect to see.

Welcome to Lost! One sign, one city which changes everything. Without giving away too much it's a city of lost - dreams, hopes, lives and rebuilding and recreating them. It's a city where Missing Man residence and he is the only one who can send you back. Only Lauren doesn't seem to be in his good graces. She is not alone, though. It's a city full of Lost people, who are expecting to be Found. The trick is that they don't know what they are looking for. Then there is also Claire, a girl who was older than her years gave away and of course Peter aka the Finder who helps people to be found.

Questions, questions! Well now you all might ask me for a place, or significance of this city and I wouldn't be able to tell you more than you assume. The Lost is all you want it to be, it can be a dream, metaphor, another world or reality you are well aware of. You can see it as a place you want to escape to and find yourself again.

Final thoughts. To say that The Lost surprised me would be an underestimation. Everything about it was new, unexpected and original - characters with different lives and ideas, to the world building which took my breath away. But at the same time this book is not for everybody. Those who need to be familiar and grasp the story might be a bit let down, as many things here are left unanswered and there is a veil of mystery still covering it.

If you like that kind of book and looking for something different and new, then you should go for this story and I'm sure losing yourself for a few hours will be worth it.