Altered - Revelations of the Evolved - Shawnda Currie Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

I feel like I haven't written a review in a decade. I was so busy with my midterms, and I still am, but I had some reviews scheduled. I was supposed to write this one a while ago and I really apologize for that. But enough about me let's go to the story.

This one will be a bit tricky to review as I won't tell you a lot. Many things here were unexpected for me and if something you can't call this book predictable. We start with the Lacey and her family. For some reasons which we'll discover later her father and mostly step-mother send her to a detention center. There she realizes that running away is not an option and that she must obey the rules. She does so and in the process she meets kids there. She gets some new friends that will help her get through the day and mostly she meets Tayloe, a very sweet young boy. Maybe you'll get the typical story about extremely handsome young boy gets to like a simple girl, but then you later see that this whole story was bigger then them.

Even though I really enjoyed most aspects of this story I still had some issues with it. Starting with Lacey. She is witty and an interesting young girl but later somehow for me she stayed the same. I couldn't see her develop as a character. Then I had some problems with writing as the story was flat - I couldn't feel it. I believe with some work this story could get something really good. As it is I'd like to read the rest of the series just because I'm really curious.

Another thing is the cover. Okay no this didn't affect my opinion on the book but quite honestly I'd never pick this book by myself. If the author didn't ask me to review it I probably wouldn't give it a second glance. It tells more about me than about the book but let's face it we all look at the covers first.